Exceptional Representation In Post-Divorce Modifications

Life can change substantially in the years after a divorce. Divorced people — especially mothers and fathers — often adjust to a new life with many unexpected variables in the years after they end their marriage. A divorce settlement or judgment that once made sense can become unworkable as a divorced individual faces the new challenges and achievements that can occur post divorce. No agreement can fully account for events that may occur years later.

At Quatela Chimeri PLLC we understand that returning to court is daunting, especially when you thought your family law legal problems were a thing of the past. Our attorneys will be honest and direct in advising you on whether you can pursue — or the best strategy to oppose — any modification of orders. Please contact us to discuss your situation and your need for representation.

Modification Of Orders When Circumstances Change Substantially

New York law provides ways for you to seek modification of orders when there is a post-divorce change in circumstances. Modifying a court order can take different avenues and the legal analysis can vary based upon whether your court order was based upon a settlement or if the court rendered judgment after trial. Similarly, post-judgment modifications on custody issues must be based not only on a change in circumstances, but also the modification must serve the best interests of the child.

A motion for modification of orders may be filed to change prior orders in your divorce decree, including those involving:

  • Child support
  • Child custody or visitation
  • Spousal maintenance, sometimes called spousal support or alimony

Major Income Changes — Child Support Changes — Relocation

Examples of situations that may prompt a successful petition for modification of divorce orders include:

  • A significant increase or decrease in either party's income
  • A job loss, job change or other event
  • A parent's need to relocate
  • A major change in the costs of caring for children, prompted by a medical problem or other event
  • A parenting arrangement that no longer works as the child has aged

Voluntary changes in income differ significantly from unexpected changes, especially when a party is seeking to modify an order to reduce a support obligation. We will fully evaluate the circumstances you are facing, whether you are seeking a modification or are opposed to a change proposed by your ex-spouse. In some instances, your best option may be to seek to enforce an existing order if your ex is not complying out of resentment, oversight or any other reason.

Take Action To Protect Your Rights

We will explain how the law applies to your situation, and aggressively advocate to protect your interests. If you have specific fears, questions or concerns based on what someone else has told you, our lawyers will help clarify any confusion.

To learn more about your legal options, call the accomplished family law attorneys at Quatela Chimeri PLLC , at 631-482-9700 or contact us online to arrange a confidential consultation.