Quatela Chimeri, PLLC

What to do if you disagree with a child custody order

If you and your spouse are in the midst of a bitter divorce in Suffolk, chances are you and your spouse are in disagreement about who gets custody of the kids. Though you both have a decent income and feel your children are better off without the other parent, the courts and law state otherwise. Your kids deserve to have both of their parents in their lives, even though things may not be right between you and their other guardian. 

If you and your spouse cannot agree on custody, the courts will decide for you. Here is some info for you to consider if the child custody ruling is not in your favor. 

You can disagree with a child custody ruling 

You do not have to like or agree with the court’s decision on custody. You must, however, abide it. You might think you can convince your former partner to do things your way or outside of the terms of the ruling. But, according to the Dailyword.com, anyone who violates a custody order is committing a crime. It is in everyone’s best interests to follow the court’s decision. 

You must petition the courts to change it 

If you do not agree with the court’s ruling because of personal reasons, there is not much you can do but to improve the parental relationship you have with your ex-partner and work towards making it work. If you sincerely believe and can prove your spouse is a danger to your kids, you can file a petition of dispute for child custody. The courts will review the evidence, your kids’ best interests and the current custody arrangement before deciding if revisions to the order are necessary. 

You should never take matters into your own hands when you have an issue with child custody. Disregarding the court’s order can lead to criminal charges, have a negative impact on your current custody and parenting time agreement, and have long-lasting consequences in other areas of your life.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers From A Focused Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Quatela Chimeri PLLC
888 Veterans Memorial Highway Suite 530
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 631-482-9700
Fax: 631-482-9707
Hauppauge Law Office Map

Mineola Office
215 Willis Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501

Phone: 516-750-8811
Fax: 631-482-9707
Map & Directions

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover