Quatela Chimeri, PLLC

My income changed, what can I do about my divorce settlement?

Who a person is at the end of the marriage is very different than who they will be a few years down the road. Some experience emotional maturity in the years following a divorce, while others go through changes in housing, finances or family. In some instances, these changes are significant enough to affect a divorce settlement. It is possible for people in New York to modify their settlements to better reflect their current standings in life.

Unfortunately, some people view modifications as an admittance of failure -- that they could not abide by the parameters they set forth years ago. However, the vast majority of divorce settlements in New York are based on changing variables. Few people maintain the same job with the same income for their entire lives, and moving homes is often necessary when new employment or educational opportunities become available.

These changing variables can impact a person's ability to pay child support, make alimony payments or maintain their current child custody arrangement. Individuals may go before a family law judge to request that their past settlement be modified, although they must be able to demonstrate the reasons why. This is especially true for parents seeking to change custody arrangements that would limit an ex's contact with a child or move a child to a new state.

The idea of heading back to court to revisit an established divorce settlement is not necessarily fun, but it is often necessary. Those who fail to seek modifications and fall behind on alimony or child support payments are usually not granted any leeway in repaying what they are past-due, which can further complicate a person's financial matters. More information regarding divorce settlements, modifications and other important New York family law topics is available on our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers From A Focused Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Quatela Chimeri PLLC
888 Veterans Memorial Highway Suite 530
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 631-482-9700
Fax: 631-482-9707
Hauppauge Law Office Map

Mineola Office
215 Willis Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501

Phone: 516-750-8811
Fax: 631-482-9707
Map & Directions

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover