Quatela Chimeri, PLLC

What can I do if my ex violates our divorce agreement?

Whether you were hung up over alimony, who gets the house or how to split parenting time, finally reaching an agreeable settlement can feel like crossing the line of a marathon. But what happens when one person stops abiding by that agreement, and you feel like all that hard work has gone to waste? You can seek a court order to enforce your divorce agreement.

People in New York stop abiding by their agreements for any number of reasons. Maybe your ex experienced a change in income and did not feel like seeking a post-judgment modification, and instead he or she simply stopped paying alimony. Or perhaps you had a disagreement over parenting methods, and now your ex is withholding child support.

This can be an extremely difficult situation to be in, especially when it puts you into a financially compromised situation. It is usually in your best interest to quickly seek an enforcement of your agreement by filing a petition with a family law court. This can force your ex to resume payments or face legal consequences.

Ultimately, a post-divorce modification is the most appropriate course of action to take when one person's financial situation changes to such a degree that he or she is no longer able to make the required payments. However, some people in New York refuse to take the necessary steps to do so. In such cases, an enforcement of your current settlement agreement may be appropriate. Not sure whether an enforcement or modification is best for your situation? More information is available here, on our website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get Answers From A Focused Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Quatela Chimeri PLLC
888 Veterans Memorial Highway Suite 530
Hauppauge, NY 11788

Phone: 631-482-9700
Fax: 631-482-9707
Hauppauge Law Office Map

Mineola Office
215 Willis Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501

Phone: 516-750-8811
Fax: 631-482-9707
Map & Directions

Visa MasterCard American Express Discover